Ruby on Rails Developer - Contract to Hire
Robert Half Technology posted almost 6 years ago
Contract | Staffing Agency | | 6 Months Austin, TX
TX - Austin
This role offers you the opportunity to make a direct and powerful impact on the development of the systems and processes that will influence the growth of a leading online advertising company. As Lead Developer, your mission will be to deliver working systems to the user community that are in-line with project plans and the overall strategic goals of the business. You’ll gain valuable exposure to the latest cutting-edge tools, technologies and systems. We’re looking for a driven professional who is eager to step into a role ripe with growth opportunity and exciting challenges.
To be a good fit for this opportunity you will have:
• 4+ years of development experience with Ruby on Rails combined with 4+ years of relational DB experience (MySQL and PostgreSQL preferred). [[Question: 166616]]
• The ability to work as part of a team
• Excellent communication skills and the ability to interface with end users, management and developers.
• A self-starter mentality with the ability to work through ambiguity.
• Strong project management skills.
• A drive for results and adherence to deadlines.
• A passion for and interest in new technologies and continuous skill development.
Preferred but not required:
• Experience with Git.
• Agile development experience.
• A bachelor’s degree.
• An active presence in the local Ruby on Rails community.
• Experience with a search company, interactive marketing, online/local advertising company or ad serving network could all be a fit.
Reporting directly to the CTO, as a Developer, you will be responsible for working collaboratively with users and development team members to deliver requested functionality within our core application platforms.
You’ll join a small, close-knit team of 6-7 colleagues, We’ve recently begun implementing Agile methodology.
We have some exciting initiatives on the horizon: we’re looking to implement business intelligence systems, dashboards, advanced data warehousing, and data integrity. You’ll be stepping into a lead role where you can make your mark on these programs right off the bat.
More specifically, you will:
• Flesh out user stories by talking to stakeholders
• Write test cases from user stories (RSpec and Cucumber a plus)
• Implement features from user stories
• Coordinate with users to isolate and fix bugs
• Communicate with team and Project Manager about status, estimates, etc.
Note: this description is intended to give you a general overview of the position and is not an exhaustive listing of duties and responsibilities.
High-level impact -- The systems we are developing are to aid in the workflow and the processes of the people who are selling, placing and tracking the ads, and you’ll play a key role in this development. You’ll enjoy the satisfaction that comes with knowing your activities directly impact our business and internal users.
Great environment -- We take pride in our flexible, team-oriented atmosphere and collaborative environment. Your manager believes in setting expectations, holding the team accountable, inviting commitment, and empowering each and every team member. This is an environment where feedback is valued and successes are celebrated.
Career opportunity -- We’re a winning and growing company taking our solutions to the next level. Growth equals opportunity and once you master your position and prove yourself a key player there will be career growth options.
State-of-the-art office space -- Our brand new offices are located in the posh Omni Hotel in downtown Austin. With brand new furniture, supplies and equipment, you’ll be getting in on the ground floor of our chic new digs.
Best of both worlds -- You’ll benefit from the stability and resources of our parent company, which owns and operates 40+ TV stations throughout most U.S. markets. As their online subsidiary, you’ll find there is the freedom and autonomy of a smaller company combined with the influence of a NYSE company.
Excellent compensation -- In addition to a competitive salary we offer comprehensive benefits that include medical, dental and vision programs; a 401(k) plan; and more.