Project Manager_DPS (State Govt.)
Designs, plans, and coordinates work teams. Follows standard project management industry practices. Understands business and technical objectives of a project and works closely with project sponsor. Creates project charter and work plan and tracks budget and schedule progress via appropriate metrics. Documents risks and develops mitigation plans, manages scope, and creates and implements a communication plan. Identifies, tracks, and ensures resolution of issues and removal of barriers.
Works under limited supervision within the Information Technology Division / IT Governance / Project Management Office, and reports to the PMO Manager.
· Considerable knowledge of structured project management techniques as advocated by the Project Management Institute (PMI).
· Considerable knowledge, after training, of agency programs and procedures and of the methods and equipment used in IS applications.
· Knowledge of the capabilities and limitations of computer systems or management information systems.
· Knowledge of Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) methodologies.
· Knowledge of high-level system design methodologies and techniques (such as the entity/relationship model, data/process flow diagrams, use case development, etc.).
· Knowledge of current technical approaches used to deliver IT products and services to large client organizations.
· Knowledge of Department policies and procedures and of the methods and equipment used in IS applications.
· Skill in using a PC and Microsoft Project, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Word, and Internet
Skill in using project tracking software, such as Microsoft Project, to schedule tasks, and monitor and report status.
· Skill in business or systems analysis.
· Skill in problem solving, conflict resolution, and negotiation.
· Skill in working collaboratively and cooperatively with colleagues.
· Skill in writing analyses, documentation, proposals, plans, policies, procedures, standards or reports.
· Ability to work independently and to deliver results in an environment of broad, consultative management and with others in a team environment.
· Ability to plan, organize, schedule, assign, and monitor completion of assigned projects.
· Ability to work under stressful conditions and manage multiple, overlapping projects and/or deadlines.
· Ability to lead diverse teams to achieve desired results.
· Ability to present information to a variety of audiences, verbally and in writing, and to communicate clearly, concisely, and effectively.
· Ability to adapt to change or modify behavior in response to changes in situations or priorities.
· Ability to analyze systems and procedures.
· Ability to write and revise standards and procedures.
· Ability to analyze business processes, and to develop and present the business case for new or modified IS customer-related products and services.
· Ability to analyze problems and develop solutions and to perform detailed work accurately.
· Ability to direct developer staff, to ensure quality, and to enforce programming standards.
· Current certification as a Project Management Professional (PMP) or actively working toward the attainment of such certification after employment in the position.
II. WORKER SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
Designs, plans, and coordinates work teams. Follows standard project management industry practices such as the PMI's framework. Understands business and technical objectives of a project and works closely with project sponsor. Creates project charter and work plan and tracks budget and schedule progress via appropriate metrics. Establishes project organization and methodologies and defines roles and responsibilities. Documents risks and develops mitigation plans. Manages scope. Creates and implements a communication plan. Builds an effective team, assigns tasks to team members, and evaluates outcomes. Negotiates resources. Communicates to stakeholders and project sponsor. Identifies, tracks, and ensures resolution of issues and removal of barriers. Provides technical support to project team members. Handles complex application features and technical designs. Designs and implements the components required for complex application features. Generally manages a group of applications system analysts. Relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. Professional certification is highly desirable.
May require specific PC, workstation, operating system, application or platform skills. Provides overall direction to the formulation, development, implementation, and delivery of a project. Exercises management responsibility over the achievement of performance, revenue, and profit objectives of a project and its contracts. Ensures that the project plan maintains tasks, schedules, estimates, and status, and disseminates information to team members and customers. Creates a structure and organization for the management of a complex environment with emphasis on quality, productivity, and consistency. Directs corrective actions in any area where performance falls below objectives. Arranges for the assignment of responsibility to other supporting facilities, business areas, and support functions, and monitors their performance. Self-directed and independent. Responsible for the coordination and completion of projects. Oversees all aspects of projects. Sets deadlines, assigns responsibilities, and monitors and summarizes progress of project. Prepares reports for upper management regarding status of project.